Town Office

340 Main Street, Jay, Maine 04239

Phone: (207) 897-6785

Fax: (207) 897-9420

Monday & Tuesday: 8 AM – 4 PM
Wednesday: 12 PM – 4 PM
Thursday: 8 AM – 5 PM
Friday 8 AM – 4 PM
Saturday – Sunday: Office Closed

Town Office

The Town of Jay operates under the Town Meeting/Select Board/Town Manager form of local government which combines the strong political leadership of elected officials in the form of a 5-member Select Board with the strong managerial experience of an appointed local government manager. The Town Manager’s position is appointed by the Select Board and all other Town Department Heads report to the Manager.

The Town Manager executes the policy direction set by the Select Board through the management of five departments – Police, Fire, Public Works (highway and transfer station), Sewer, and the Town Office.

Jay’s annual Town Meeting serves as its legislative body and is responsible for passing local laws/ordinances and for adopting an annual budget. Town Meeting is also where municipal officials are elected, including the Select Board and School Board. Town Meeting typically occurs in April each year with budget meetings being held in January/February. Jay’s citizens, not the Select Board, are directly responsible for adopting local laws and raising and spending tax dollars. For this reason, citizen participation is critical.

Contact Information
Department Head Name Email
Town Manager Shiloh LaFreniere Email
Office Manager / Town Clerk Ronda Palmer Email
Finance Director Jill Gingras Email
Deputy Tax Collector
Lori Shink Email
Code Enforcement Officer Ronda Palmer Email
E911 Officer John Johnson Email
Deputy Town Clerk Raeleen York Email
Registration Information

Excise Tax is paid in the Town in which you live at the time of registration, for all Motor Vehicles. Excise Tax is based on the Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP), regardless of the age of the vehicle.

Requirements for:

NEW Motor Vehicle Registrations (Dealership Purchase):

  • Application for Title Form (blue)
  • Proof sales tax has been paid
  • Previous Registration of vehicle traded or sold (if transferring)
  • Proof of Insurance
  • Current Mileage.

NEW Motor Vehicle Registrations (Private Sale):

  • Previous Owners Title (two signatures required for joint owners)
  • a Bill of Sale
    • Date of purchase
    • VIN #
    • Make and Model
    • Signatures
  • Previous Registration of vehicle traded or sold (if transferring)
  • Proof of Insurance
  • Current Mileage

RENEWAL Vehicle Registrations:

  • Prior Registration if previously registered in another town
  • Proof of Insurance
  • Current Mileage

You may also renew your vehicle registration online with Rapid Renewal.

Registrants with an SR22:

  • You are required to notify the clerk prior to registering.

Utility-style Trailers can be registered at the Town Office for either one or two years, the weight of the trailer determines the fees.

If registering a Utility Trailer for 2000 pounds and under, you are allowed 2000 lbs. for the weight of the trailer and whatever you are hauling.

If registering a Utility trailer for over 2000 pounds, ensure the hauling unit (truck) is registered to cover the weight of the truck, the trailer, and whatever is being hauled.

Excise Tax is collected on all Camper Trailers, Fifth Wheels, Travel Trailers & Motor Homes. State fees are determined by weight.

The following information is required when registering Camper Trailers, Fifth Wheels, Travel Trailers & Motor Homes for the first time.

If purchased at a dealership, proof sales tax has been paid, as well as the (blue) Title Application Form for trailers over 3,000 pounds.

For all private sales, please have the following information: Make, Model, Year, Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), weight, and Previous Owner’s Title when applicable. All trailers weighing over 3000 pounds are required to have a Maine State Title as well.

Online Registrations
ATV and Snowmobile Registration
Boat Registration Renewal

Recreational Vehicles: Stickers for all Recreational Vehicles registrations may be purchased at the Town Office.

Boats: Excise tax is calculated based on the boat’s age, length, and engine horsepower and State fees are based on engine horsepower.

All Boats registered for fresh water use, are now required to display a MILFOIL sticker alongside the registration sticker. Information regarding the Milfoil plant and the protection of Maine waters may be obtained at the Town Office or contact Inland Fisheries & Wildlife.

Requirements for NEW ATV, Boat, and Snowmobile registrations: Proof sales tax has been paid for dealership purchases or a bill of sale for private sales. A “bill of sale” should include the make, model, and year as well as the vehicle identification number (VIN #), date of purchase, and horsepower for boats. A Maine Registration Number is required on Snowmobiles previously registered in Maine. (ME registration or sticker numbers off the new recreation vehicle or boat may be helpful)

Requirements for RENEWAL ATV, Boat, and Snowmobile registrations: A prior registration is necessary if previously registered in another town.

Buy Your Permits Online
Hunting & Fishing Licenses

Must be a Maine Resident for at least 3 months prior to purchasing a Hunting License. Proof of Residency is required at time of purchase. Residency requirements are listed in the State of Maine Hunting Laws & Rules pamphlet, available at the Town Office.

Anyone purchasing a Maine Hunting License is required to show proof of a previous hunting license or proof of Hunter Safety Course Participation.

Junior Hunting Licenses are available for Children under 16 years old. Proof of having participated in a Hunter Safety Course is required prior to the first-time purchase of an adult license.

Lifetime licenses are available for children under 16 and adults 65 years and over.

Elections & Voting
To register to vote you can come to the Town Office or register on Election Day. Proof of Identification and residency is required. Go to this link for more information Bureau of Corporations, Elections & Commissions (

Absentee ballots are received at the Town Office 30-45 Days before an Election. Voters can request a ballot by calling the Town Office at 897-6785. You may also go online to electronically request a Maine Absentee Ballot.

Ballots can be dropped off at the Town Office by an immediate family member, dropped in our drop box located at the Town Office, or mailed to our address. They need to be returned by 8 PM on Election Day.

Town of Jay
340 Main Street
Jay, Maine

General Assistance

General Assistance helps individuals and families to meet their basic necessities. If you or someone you know is in need of General Assistance, please come to the Town Office. Persons who wish to apply for General Assistance may do so on Tuesdays and Thursdays between 9:00 A.M. and 11:00 A.M at the Town Office.

  1. Completed Town GA Application
  2. Your most recent bills and/or other proof of expenses including:
    • Rent/mortgage (eviction notice if applying for help with rent)
    • CMP Disconnect notice (if applying for help with power bill)
    • Heating fuel
    • Medical expenses
  3. Any verification and proof regarding your household income. This includes everyone who is living at the residence where the GA assistance is being requested.
  4. A doctor’s statement if you are ill, disabled, or not able to work.

In order to receive GA, people must follow program rules and meet eligibility conditions. Without complete information about your income and expenses, the administrator cannot determine if you are eligible for assistance.

You can be found not eligible due to lack of information provided and it will be your responsibility to fulfill any requests for information that the administrator needs to completely determine your eligibility within the program.

Pursuant to Title 22 MRSA ss 4305, the municipal officers have adopted an ordinance establishing the General Assistance program. A copy of this ordinance and relevant statutes is available for public inspection at the Jay Town Office.

In an emergency, applicants may contact Dispatch in the Police Department at 897-6766.

The municipality’s General Assistance administrator must issue a written decision regarding eligibility to all applicants within 24 hours of receiving an application. The Department of Human Services toll-free telephone number, to call with a question regarding the General Assistance Program, is 1-800-442-6003.

This notice is posted pursuant to Title 22 MRSA ss 4304 & 4305.

Helpful Links:

Vital Records

A certified copy of a record may be obtained at the Town Office if the event took place in Jay or the individual was living in Jay when the event occurred. It may also be obtained through Vital Records in Augusta. ID will be required.

The cost for a certified copy is $15.00 and $6.00 for each additional copy of the same record.  Links to forms (attached)

Marriage intentions (for couples planning to marry) require both parties to be present and it is recommended that you visit the office at least one hour before closing time. The fee for a marriage license is $40.00.

Vitals Request Form
Intention of Marriage Application
Order a Vital Record Online